The Maine Center for Economic Policy (MECEP) seeks a Policy Analyst to advance its work to increase economic security and opportunity for low- and moderate-income individuals and families. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and communications skills, strong data research and policy analysis ability, be a team player, and demonstrate a commitment to advancing social and economic justice.
The Policy Analyst will produce timely, accessible, and reliable research and analysis related to jobs and labor market conditions and a range of policy issues affecting low-income Mainers. The Policy Analyst will also play an important role working with MECEP’s partner organizations and helping the organization to expand access to our analysis.
MECEP is an independent, nonprofit organization that conducts in-depth research and analysis of budget, tax, and economic issues. MECEP’s mission is to provide citizens, policymakers, advocates, and media with credible and rigorous economic analysis that advances economic justice and prosperity for all Maine people. MECEP is the “go to” organization for economic analysis in Maine and is committed to working with others to build durable, broad-based support for policy change that reduces inequality and improves peoples’ lives. Additional information about MECEP is available at www.mecep.org.
The Policy Analyst’s core responsibilities include:
- Work as a member of MECEP’s team to develop and implement a proactive policy agenda and work plan.
- Conduct research and write on economic policy issues. Written materials include blog posts, op-eds, fact sheets, short reports, and longer research pieces based on credible analysis that are accessible to a broad audience. Publications will often include policy recommendations designed to improve the economic vitality of Maine and its residents;
- Work as a member of MECEP’s team to ensure delivery of high quality, credible analysis, and improve the accessibility and impact of MECEP products;
- Work with partner organizations to support their analytic needs, pursue strategic collaboration, develop policy solutions, and advance legislation;
- Respond to requests for information and technical assistance from policymakers, the media, and community partners;
- Engage in public outreach and build relationships with policymakers and the media as appropriate;
- Represent MECEP in coalitions, at the legislature, and on committees as appropriate; and
- Support the operational needs of a small nonprofit and perform other duties as assigned.
The Policy Analyst will report to the Executive Director and Associate Director. The position is based in Augusta, ME.
The ideal candidate for the Policy Analyst position possesses:
- A commitment to economic and social justice in Maine;
- A commitment to delivering high quality, credible analysis with a desire to explore ideas, test assumptions, and advance solutions collaboratively based on sound information and analysis;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey technical information clearly to a range of audiences, both in writing and through public speaking and radio and press interviews, to assist in framing issues, and to maintain message discipline;
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including a working knowledge of PC-based word processing, spreadsheet, and statistical software;
- Computer graphic design skills (e.g. ability to help create charts and infographics to accompany reports) to improve the accessibility and impact of MECEP products;
- A commitment to continuous professional and organizational improvement including the ability to give and receive constructive feedback particularly on written products;
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team, to prioritize and manage multiple tasks to pivot as needed, and to complete assigned projects on time;
- The capacity to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with an array of individuals and organizations interested in advancing shared prosperity in Maine, including elected officials, legislative and executive branch staff, journalists, the leadership and membership of other policy organizations, and the general public;
- A bachelor’s degree in public policy, economics, finance, statistics, or a related field; an advanced degree preferred;
- Prior policy analysis and research experience, preferably related to jobs and labor market issues;
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal data sources and legislative processes, preferably in Maine; and
- The ability to use new media to advance MECEP’s mission.
MECEP offers a competitive compensation package, including salary commensurate with experience, employer-provided health insurance, retirement benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
Send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Policy Analyst Search”. Candidates may also submit materials to: MECEP, Attn: Policy Analyst Search, PO Box 437, Augusta, Maine 04332.
Position open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to complete a short supplemental writing exercise. MECEP is an equal opportunity employer.