Policy Insights 2021
Our semi-annual conference brought people together (virtually) to tackle the big policy issues facing Maine’s families, communities, and economy.
For our virtual Policy Insights conference this year, we set out to give attendees the information they need to understand and influence the most important policy discussions facing our state. Our sessions focused on the fiscal policy necessary to build an equitable COVID recovery, the intersection of economic and racial justice, and how to build a stronger, fairer economy for all Mainers for generations to come.
Panel: Advancing Economic Justice Through Racial Equity
- James Myall, Economic Policy Analyst and author of State of Working Maine 2020, Maine Center for Economic Policy
- Arlo Hennessey, Work with Dignity Program Director, Southern Maine Workers’ Center
- Nsiona Nguizani, President, Angolan Community Of Maine
- Nicole Clegg, Vice President of Public Policy, Planned Parenthood of Northern New England
- John Ochira, Outgoing President, South Sudanese Community Association
Interview: How Raising Taxes Will Help Build a Stronger Future
In this session, Maine People’s Alliance deputy director and MECEP board member Ben Chin interviewed MECEP tax and budget analyst Sarah Austin about Maine’s broken tax code, and how progressive policies to clean up the tax system can help address Maine’s long unmet needs.
Panel: Putting Fiscal Policy Solutions into Action
Special thanks to this year's sponsors:
The Bingham Program
John T. Gorman Foundation
Maine Community Foundation
Maine Health Access Foundation